Compulsory education in the UAE begins from Grade 1 and the academic year runs from September to June, except for Indian, Pakistani and Japanese curriculum schools which runs from April to March.
A parental guide for school admissions
File size: 569 KB
Last updated: May 2019
To help you choose from the many private schools in Dubai, you can click here to visit our online directory. One can browse all the schools from there using the available filters. You can look for schools by curriculum, fee range, location and performance. You can also download the KHDA app on your smart phone and do the same.
When to enrol in primary school
To start primary school your child will need to turn five years old by 30 April in the year that they start school.
Your child must be at school in the year that they turn six years of age. This is the compulsory school starting age.
You can enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school at any time during the year. It’s good to plan ahead: many Victorian government primary schools start taking enrolments as early as May the year before your child is due to start school.
When to enrol in secondary school
Read more about the steps in moving from primary to secondary school.
If you need to enrol at a different time, contact the secondary school.
It's the law that your child is enrolled in school between the ages of six and 17. Or they can be home schooled.
How to choose a school and enrol
Ask yourself these questions:
- How far do you want to travel and is the school reasonably close to home or work?
- Will the school be able to cater for your child’s needs and interests?
- What facilities do they offer and are you comfortable with the ‘feel’ of the school?
- Will the teachers and the school curriculum support your child’s development, including social, emotional, physical and cognitive needs?
- Does the school’s policy on homework and discipline reflect your own values and expectations?
- Does the school work in partnership with families?
- If your child has a disability, do you live in an area where you can get support with transport?